We bring in our friends Dianna Dekker and Nicole Christenson to chat about the Enneagram! For those of you who don't know what this is, it's one of our favorite personality profiles. Listen to the episode here!
Enneagram Studies in the Narrative Tradition describes it in this way:
"The Enneagram is a powerful tool for personal and collective transformation. Stemming from the Greek words ennea (nine) and grammos (a written symbol), the nine-pointed Enneagram symbol represents nine distinct strategies for relating to the self, others and the world. Each Enneagram type has a different pattern of thinking, feeling and acting that arises from a deeper inner motivation or worldview."
So why are we taking time to share this resource with you all? We have found that this can be used to supplement our growth by helping us learn about ourselves, others, and how humans relate to one another.
Key reasons why we recommend using the Enneagram and knowing our types:
1. Can help expose our blind spots.
2. Helps us to be more self aware and move towards healthier behavior.
3. Provides a common language for self identifying weaknesses/strengths, and for community to speak into one another.
4. Helps us to understand what drives the people we love. More understanding can lead to more grace and empathy within the relationship.
5. Helps us to love and encourage others better as we start to better understand their basic needs. fears, and motivations (as well as our own).
What to keep in mind while using the Enneagram:
1. Personality profiles are not the Bible, but can be used as a great additional resource. Remember that all knowledge should be tested to ensure it aligns with the Word of God first and foremost. "Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world (1 John 4:1).
2. Remember your true identity rests in who are are to God, which is His beloved child who was made to be loved and to love! Use this tool as a way to enhance your spiritual growth, not to define it.
3. The true goal is to become more like Christ. The Enneagram can be used to become a better version of yourself and to love others, but keep the end goal of becoming more like Christ at the forefront of your mind. Above all else, clothe yourself with love!
4. The Word of God is all we truly need for transformation. However, we think God can use all things, even scientific research and tools to help open our eyes to our "offensive ways" show us that which needs to be refined, and to encourage us. God can and will show us our cracks and flaws when we ask him to.
"Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."
"Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity."
1. Ask God to help reveal your heart and any "offensive ways" to you! What areas can you work on by surrendering them over to Him?
2. Take the test and send us your thoughts!
3. Ian Cron and Suzanne Stabile share in the "Road Back to You" the charge to keep learning about all the types
Free Test (we've seen this one be very accurate)
Free Test: http://exploreyourtype.com/details
Learn about each type more in depth and how they relate to one another: https://www.enneagraminstitute.com