In this episode, we unpack the common question many of us have asked at one point or another: What is God's will for my life? Or maybe you are asking... What does He want me to do next?
Simple answer: We will never know every detail of God's plan, but we do have everything we need in His word to tell us what we need to know. Pretty much we think it comes down to two answers:
1. God wants us to be united back with Him in relationship; to be with Him, know Him, and to help bring glory to His name. Ephesians 1 says: "He made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times will have reached their fulfillment--to bring all things in heaven and on earth together... In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will,in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory."
2. He does have a unique purpose for you as an individual, and He will show you more about what that is as you seek and answer His pursuit of you. Psalm 34:7 says "Delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart". The more we know God, the more we will know His will for us specifically. You, my friend, have been specifically chosen for His glory.
"For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him." 2 Chronicles 16:9
Helpful Tools for Making Godly Decisions:
Know your SHAPE (spiritual gifts, heart/passions, abilities, personality, experience)
When making decisions, consider these questions: What helps you listen to God and hear His voice? What keeps you from listening to God and hearing His voice?
1. Reflect on your SHAPE and identify one thing you can do to share your gifts with others.
2. Encourage 1-3 people in their unique gifts and talents.
3. Try not to stress about not knowing every step of the future. Take life one day at a time, just being sure you are walking in step with the Father where you are today.
Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren
SHAPE Study Guide by Rick Warren and Erik Rees
The Next Right Thing Podcast by Emily P. Freeman